True leadership refers to a leader who has an impact on his organization’s stakeholders and their employees through his attitudes and actions. A true leader cannot believe that he is able to just go along making no moves and waiting his turn. If this happens, it will invariably lead to a shortage of effective leaders that negatively impacts the potential, relevance, sustainability, and viability of his organization. These six steps are essential to being an effective leader. Examine needs; 2. Listen to your constituents. Empathy; 4. Plan an action; 5. Communicate honestly and with meaning Communicate effectively and honestly; and 6.
- It is crucial to conduct a thorough and objective evaluation of the needs of each group before there can be meaningful leadership. He must be open to all possibilities and seek out the most effective and efficient solutions for his group. Only then can it be possible to make a directed, meaningful effort towards increasing relevance and sustainability of an organization. Without understanding the true needs and deciding what to do, it’s impossible to act logically.
- Listening to your constituents, donors, sponsors and other stakeholders is a key step that every leader should take. Listening is not about talking at others. It’s about effectively listening to their concerns, needs, and observations, as well as asking meaningful questions that help the learning and understanding process. To be a great leader, you must learn to listen.
- A leader must demonstrate empathy in order to make a real difference. It is important that leaders understand the differences between empathy and sympathy. Because sympathy rarely serves any purpose. Sympathy can be about feeling sorry about someone or something that has happened. True empathy involves proactively putting oneself in another’s shoes, understanding how they feel, and being willing to help them. Understanding and appreciating the needs of others is essential for a person to be valuable to their group.
- Next is the creation of an action plan. It must be a step by stage process that starts from the present, and uses actions as well as a date line to develop a course of action that is relevant to his organization. Effective planning must include contingency plans and a way to identify what may need to be changed or tweaked in order to increase its performance and effectiveness.
- Dr George Freundlich is able to communicate effectively must pay attention to how others perceive them. They must communicate clearly and openly. And they must maintain absolute integrity. They must be able to motivate others through how they act, what they say and how they affect others on a daily basis. Communication should not be limited to the amount of rhetoric. It must also include the development and enhancement of relationships.
- If the previous steps are not followed up with decisive and timely actions, they will never bear fruit. Great leaders communicate clearly, empathize, communicate and plan.
Do you desire to be a leader with a significant impact on your organisation? If so, you will need to take action quickly, in a structured manner, and without wasting time.