Leasowe is an area on the north coast of the Wirral Peninsula, in North West England, near Moreton and between Wallasey and Meols. Historically within Cheshire, Leasowe was part of the old County Borough of Wallasey, and is now within the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral, the Wallasey parliamentary constituency and the New Wallasey Regeneration programme. However, it also has its own characteristics and is often regarded as a separate town. At the 2001 Census, Leasowe had a population of 6,180 (2,890 males, 3,290 females). By the time of the 2011 Census figures for Leasowe were no longer maintained. However, there was an electoral ward called Leasowe and Moreton East. The population of the ward at this Census was 14,640.HistoryThe name 'Leasowe' comes from the Anglo-Saxon Leasowes or 'Meadow Pastures'. Its sand dunes are the largest such system on the Wirral. Much of the area is at or below sea level and is protected by the coastal embankment. Houses built in the early 20th century were often flooded and unsanitary, but after about 1926 new roads and drainage were put in by the Borough Council, and much new housing was developed. Along the embankment between Leasowe and Moreton are the remains of fortifications built during the Second World War.